Monday, December 31, 2007

Sporting Events and Shopping Stupidity

This weekend we spent a lot of time at Panther Stadium. We went to the Orange Bowl Basketball Classic where Lil J saw his first basketball game. I think the only thing that interested him was the fact that it was Miami playing. We're going to stick with hockey for him.

Sunday was a shopping nightmare for me. I volunteered to make a bunch of appetizers for New Years Eve at my sister-in-law's house for the party. Seven layer Mexican dip, Sweet and Sour Turkey meatballs (in the crock pot) and Bourbon dogs. For some reason, Big J insisted that we go to WalMart to do this shopping, that way he could walk around the sporting goods department with Lil J while I did the grocery shopping. Now I remember why I shop at Publix and not WalMart - I don't know where anything is.

I got all the groceries, except the cocktail weenies for the Bourbon dogs and I still needed a bottle of Bourbon for the recipe. After dropping the boys off, I headed out to a liquor store to buy the bourbon. They didn't have any (or the stupid clerk couldn't understand English). So I headed to Publix to buy the weenies - success!

I got home and decided that the Bourbon could wait until Monday at lunch hour and I'd run to a real liquor store. I started to make the Turkey Meatballs and realized I was out of Parsley. I ran to the WalMart Neighborhood Market (this store is groceries only) and they had a detached liquor store. So I finally found the spices, bought them, bought a huge bottle of Bourbon since they didn't have any small ones and headed home.

When I went to complete my meatballs, I realized I bought Oregano, not Parsley. I was so mad at myself and remembered why I always have a grocery list. If I had written it down, I would have had parsley. I substituted Italian Seasoning for the Parsley and if anyone can actual taste the difference and tell me, I may have to bash them over the head with my crock pot.

So...Happy New Year to all and let's hope that 2008 is a better year!

1 comment:

CPA Mom said...

bourbon dogs? you have to give me that recipe!

I switch spices all the time to keep things interesting. I bet your recipe tasted better with the substitute!

Wal-mart = nightmare = i never go there.